Overland vs. flying (Iran to Kyrgyzstan)
I am visiting Iran in the Spring, and I’m deciding whether to enter Central Asia by
1) overland via Turkmenistan or
2) by airplane to Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
On one hand, I can see NO benefit in going overland since I need to arrange a difficult/expensive Turkmen transit visa in Iran, and a tourist visa to Uzbekistan, as “proof of onward travel” .
Honestly, I am more interested in Kyrgystan, and Tajikstan because of the high mountain ranges. It’s going to be hot in the late spring/early summer, and Uzbekistan and Turkemistan are pretty flat compared to their mountainous neighbours. Therefore, I prefer Kyrgyz and Tajik
Anyways, that’s why I am considering just flying (Iran-Kyrgyzstan) and since I am Canadian, a free visa on arrival (30 days) awaits me at Bishkek airport. Another added bonus compared to going overland.
Does anyone see the benefit of going overland? Of course, I already found an airline flying Mahshad, Iran directly to Bishkek, only a 4 hour flight, and the price is bound to be cheap. In August 2008, and Iran Aseman flight crashed killing everyone on board just 2km outside Bishkek airport.
So I guess now I’m only looking for an excuse NOT to go overland? And no the crash isn’t enough, though maybe it should be? Nah, not by me.
Arriving in Bishkek by air is again beneficial because of the free visa on arrival, and the relative ease in getting a Tajik visa in Bishkek, as well as the new Chinese/Tajik border crossing recently opened (2004).
The only concern remaining is where to get a Chinese tourist visa to enter Xinjiang?
Bishkek, or Dushanbe?
Also, I am interested in entering Pakistan, and India after China, via the Karakourom highway (from Kashgar to near Islamabad). Where do I get those visas? Which embassies hand them out easier?
My possibilities are
Bishkek, Dushanbe, Tehran, or Dubai, but I have no idea when I am going to enter China, India, or Pakistan, so I need open entry dates on the visas, thus giving me freedom to travel at my own speed.
Thanks for any insight.
Maybe if you were more open to explaining what you mean?
- Central Asia Vacation? 0theamazingrace0 : I’m very interested in traveling to either Uzbekistan,...
- what’s the best way to travel overland from bali to bangkok? what mustn’t i miss? karisa_tine : i am on a trip around the world...
- Kyrgyzstan only recently  broke off and become its own country from the Soviet Union? niki : It was the first of the former Soviet...
- Which former Soviet Union countries are best to travel? Bluemoon : Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Iran, Afghanistan and...
- Which Central Asian Country is the best to travel? Bluemoon : Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Iran, Afghanistan and...